Thursday, July 24, 2008

The Tooth Fairy was here!





Abby was so thrilled the moment she realized that she had a loose tooth! For weeks she wiggled and jiggled it until finally it fell out. She came running into the house to tell us, and the first thing we asked her was where her tooth was. She stopped and thought for a minute and then said with a shrug, "It just fell out into the grass." I couldn't believe the sense of loss I felt as I searched through our grass trying to find her first baby tooth. Drew explained to Abby (and partly to me) that it wasn't a big deal, because the tooth fairy was very good at finding teeth and if we left her a note telling her where to look it wouldn't be a problem. After Drew and Abby walked away and I kept looking I wondered why I was so sad for this little piece of Abby to be gone. I realized how fast life was passing by and how these little milestones could go so easily unnoticed and without celebration if we let them. I know that I only have a short time with my little ones and I have to remind myself that there are more important things than clean dishes and beds that are perfectly made. I also realized that each milestone is a stepping stone that leads us to other new experiences. If we don't take that step, we miss out. Loosing a tooth gave us the chance to let the tooth fairy come to our house - and that was a great celebration!

4 comments:

Jen Hanson said...

She's growing so fast. Wow! Congrats Abby!

SarahBara said...

I know what you mean....life goes by way too fast! It seems like Abby was just in nursery with me. I'm sad you didn't find her tooth, at least Abby was alright with it! She's such a cute girl!

Wight's said...

Way to go Abby! It is about time you lost one-jk Did the toothfairy find your house the first night? The toothfairy always has a hard time finding our house, maybe her directions are wrong, who knows.

Amy said...

Yeah yeah, Abby lost a tooth like 2 months ago. lahdee fricken da! Update your blog already. I tagged you on my blog by the way, so read it and then do the tag. Call me if you dont know how this new technology works...